Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
September 30, 2024, 07:24:21 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Converters  |  Template conversion between Gold and SE « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Template conversion between Gold and SE  (Read 1693 times)
luisr

Left blank to save space.

Template conversion between Gold and SE
« on: April 03, 2002, 01:17:17 AM »

I have been running a YaBB Gold SP1 board for about two months now.  Wow!  What a forum!  And WOW!  What a resource hog!!!

So I am looking into YaBB SE although it will mean paying a bit extra to my web host for the MySQL support.

Some of my questions about conversion have already been answered here.  However one question still remains.  Will my template go to the SE forum too?  Or will I have to start over to get the SE forum to look like my current Gold forum?

I have never worked with PHP but have enough experience with Perl to allow me to do some modifications to my current YaBB Gold forum.  I want to port these over to SE.  How different is the SE version from the Perl version in terms of coding and structure of modules?  What about the code itself?  I looked into one PHP module and the code looks pretty much the same.

Thanks for any help.
alexrolko
Re:Template conversion between Gold and SE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 01:47:25 AM »

You can use your YaBB1Gold template with YaBB SE, though you will have to add some new tags if you want some of the features of YaBB SE to work.

if you modified any of the Source files of YaBB 1 Gold such as change the HTML to a different design, those modifications how ever will have to be re-done.

as for the differences between Perl and PHP there are the simularities but they both work differently.
junai3
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2002, 06:17:08 PM »

I am having problems converting my Yabb gold template to my new yabbse.  I did make modifications to the HTML.  What do I have to do differently in Yabbse to make the HTML modifications work?

I am familiar with PHP.  Do I have to include the HTML modifications as a .txt or .html file?  Are there tags I am missing?

A friend told me to include yabbse instead of yabb for my yabb tags and it should work.  He was partly right.  by putting <yabbse main> my template started working, but the yabb main section is messed up.  Please see: http://talkstory.kauaistyle.com/yabbse

When i use the new template, everything works fine.  However when I try to make any changes, such as removing the Yabb logo, it gets all messed up.  Then, even if I put the yabb logo back, it's still all messed up.

Please help.
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 12:59:41 PM »

I got him working.

What happened is that for some reason, there were no \n characters at all in his template file (which had been edited on a macintosh)

So I changed Subs.php to explode the template on \n, \r or \f rather than just on \n - that got him going :)

junai3
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 05:10:02 PM »

Thanks very much to Joseph ;D I can't say enough about the help Joseph has provided.

Something wierd is still happening with my template.  It doesn't show any of my colors on the first page, but it does when you click one page deeper in.

I'm going to recreate my template on a PC instead of a mac and see if that does the trick.  I will let you know.
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2002, 08:09:41 PM »

I already sent you an IM about this Junai - a while ago.

The thing is you haven't copied any of CSS code of into your new template.  Open up the template.php that came with yabb SE, and copy the style sheet code you find there into your new template.

That should solve your problem  ;D

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Converters  |  Template conversion between Gold and SE « previous - next »