Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
October 03, 2024, 06:23:08 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Retractable categories - Features? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Retractable categories - Features?  (Read 1122 times)
Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

Retractable categories - Features?
« on: January 18, 2002, 02:56:57 AM »

I have started working on a expandable/retractable categories mod, but I want to know the general opinion how this should work.

• All categories opened by default, or should you be able as admin to set certain boards retracted (closed) by default?
  • A little circular button on the right in the category-bar to open and close it, or the whole bar to click on? Button can stay as open/closed indicator, in both cases.
  • Remember the settings for each category (open/closed as the user last used them)? And if so:  for the length of the session / always, via a cookie/ always, stored in the database for each user ?

ArtfulSpider
Noobie

Musicians, check out MIDI-CONTEST.COM !!!

Re:Retractable categories - Features?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2002, 05:03:04 AM »

QuoteAll categories opened by default, or should you be able as admin to set certain boards retracted (closed) by default?
I would prefer to set certain boards OPEN by default, and lockable that way... and the others configurable by the users, according to their preference, and yes, with memory of last setting..

QuoteA little circular button on the right in the category-bar to open and close it, or the whole bar to click on? Button can stay as open/closed indicator, in both cases.
When closed, button for "EXPAND" or "OPEN".. when open, button in same place, except for "COLLAPSE" or "CLOSE" catagory.  Button would be better than the whole bar clickable, as it's easier to for the user to identify the function, and is label-able for the admin, to explain it.  If the whole bar were clickable, where would you post the explaination of the function?

Quote[Remember the settings for each category (open/closed as the user last used them)? And if so:  for the length of the session / always, via a cookie/ always, stored in the database for each user ?
I suggest always, stored in the db, but is it possible to add an admin function that would override all... so if you wanted to ... for example.. display a new board with important content to ALL users, regardless of whether they have that catagory closed... this would open it, and sort to the top... if that makes any sense at all. hehe..

Cool mod project you've taken on there... will be curious to see how it works out... could come in very handy.
Have fun.

RR

Alan Cramer

***Insert Evil Cackle Here***

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2002, 06:38:38 AM »

I also started this mod, but mine was different.  But I haven't really got far, while looking for bugs in YaBB SE 1.1.0. So I will let you handle it.  But can you also add this choice aswell (which I was going to do) to allow a choice in the Mod Settings page for either Standard Board, Retractable, or Show One Board by URL?  The third option is where in the url an option like boardurl?cat=1;hideall=1 can only show just the one category on the board and the others aren't even shown.

Alan Cramer - Nextux - [email protected]

If you want my MSN, YIM, ICQ, AIM details, please IM me for them.  If you just want support, please use these forums, as that is what they are here for!
KenTeamBG

TeamBG rules!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2002, 07:22:38 AM »

What?  Now this is changing hands?  Argh!

Anyway, you can see my simple version of this mod already done (and slightly enhanced since my first verion) at:

http://neverwinternexus.com/teambg/forum/?opened=5
« Last Edit: January 18, 2002, 03:02:28 PM by KenTeamBG » Logged

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2002, 01:59:35 PM »

Sorry, I didn't see you were working on this already. As far as I know, this mod was assigned to Joseph a while ago, but since he's on the other side of the world for a while, I wanted to finish some things before he gets back.

The direction I wanted to take with this mod is a bit different, since I wanted the opening/closing done with javascript. That's quick, and does not need reloading of the page. However, for browsers who do not support that (IE 3.0 and lower, NS 3.0 and lower, and wbrowsers with javascript turned off) I'll have to use the reloading type, as yours does.

I like the functionality in yours, since it only shows one category. I think I should make this an option too, question is: Should that be admin or user choice?
I personally think it should be user choice, but that would add a setting to his/her profile, or there should be yet an extra control on the screen to switch it.

Anyways, since there are a lot of people with ideas for this mod, we can put our efforts together? I'm busy with the javascript type of opening/closing for a while, so if you want to make the reloading-type, or the Show-One-Board-by-URL option, feel free to contribute  ;D

Godai
Mod God :P

YaBB SE!!!!

ICQ - 70621553godai78@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2002, 02:15:37 PM »

I like the java solution, is easy, looks cool and speedy :)

Emanuele 'Godai' Sparvoli
YaBB Italian Team
100% YaBB Lover
KenTeamBG

TeamBG rules!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2002, 02:20:51 PM »

JS solution is potentially problematic.  Not only due to older browsers, but the divergences between MSIE4+, NN4.0x, NN4.5+, NN6.x+

Good luck with that.

Additionally those that have the proper browser version that would normally have no problem but turn off JS support, so at least leep that in mind.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2002, 02:22:21 PM by KenTeamBG » Logged

KenTeamBG

TeamBG rules!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2002, 02:27:45 PM »

BTW, this feature infiltrated this topic and I have posted the code:

http://www.yabb.info/community/index.php?board=141;action=display;threadid=4108;start=15

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2002, 02:33:45 PM »

I already mentioned browsers with javascript turned off, those will be taken care of.
Cross browser compatibility is no problem, I know what I'm doing  ;D

Godai

YaBB SE!!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2002, 02:36:35 PM »

Quote from: Dave Smulders on January 18, 2002, 02:33:45 PMI already mentioned browsers with javascript turned off, those will be taken care of.
Cross browser compatibility is no problem, I know what I'm doing  ;D

And i trust in you ;D

YaBB Italian Team
100% YaBB Lover
Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2002, 02:38:31 PM »

Well, at least I hope that I know what I'm doing  ;D

KenTeamBG

TeamBG rules!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2002, 02:59:38 PM »

Egos?  What egos?   :P

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2002, 03:49:22 PM »

I have no ego, I'm just good  ;D

Anyway, enough crap, on with the features ;)

Alan: your one-board-only-via-url feature...I think the choice could be: Retractable on/off, and one-board-only-via-url on/off.
That way you can always use the one-board thing when enabled, by url, and use the board in normal mode also.
We could let the category names link to the one-board views when the feature is enabled.

Please let me know what you think about that.

Godai

YaBB SE!!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2002, 03:52:46 PM »

I really think is a good idea.

YaBB Italian Team
100% YaBB Lover
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2002, 07:09:55 PM »

Please remember to add it to modSettings as well so it can be disabled by those that don't want it ;)  The rest we spoke about over ICQ ;)

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Retractable categories - Features? « previous - next »