Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
June 23, 2024, 02:54:35 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Don't know how hard this would be...... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Don't know how hard this would be......  (Read 1002 times)
Dude
Don't know how hard this would be......
« on: January 05, 2002, 05:03:52 PM »

This is just an idea  :)

First, the problem. I'll use this board as an example. If you will notice there are 3 sticky topics. That's about average. Nothing wrong with that except the user has to scroll past them to get to recent posts. This can be a hassle sometimes.

The solution: Have a 'sticky' board. At the top of each forum there would be 1 sticky that would redirect the user to all the sticky posts. Right now I think they would be in their own (hidden?) forum. The 'head ' sticky post would have links to the rest of the sticky posts for that forum.

I'm thinking it would be similar to the Announcement mod. But I haven't really thought it out all that well.

If noone else thinks this 'problem and solution' needs addressing I'll move on. nap. But if enough of you feel it needs to be done I'll be glad to try and tackle it. I'm learning php and it's not all that hard. It's kinda like perl without drugs and C without steriods.

Thanks,
Dan
Michael
YaBB God

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\, n. - See recursion.

ICQ - 47769041mrtorrent@hotmail.com WWW
Re:Don't know how hard this would be......
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2002, 05:09:49 PM »

I kind of like this, except my thought would be that I'd rather keep the sticky posts on the same page as the rest, just put them in a separate box. For example, underneath the "subject, started by..." row, the stickies would be there (just as they are now), but perhaps with a thicker border around them.

Another thought would be to have the option of replacing the spot where either the forum news or category description currently resides with the sticky threads for that board.

Did that make sense? :P

~ Michael ~
--------------
The MikeCam
I went to the Net and all I got was this stupid tagline.
Dude
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2002, 08:51:37 AM »

Actually yes it does Michael. Your first idea of the border would be kind of tuff since I'm guessing the posts are in rows instead of tables. Maybe use a different color for sticky's, but that could get kind of messy.

I like your second idea. It also kind of kickstarted the old brain. How about if I took out a couple of the colums, like the replies and views. That would make the sticky immediatly visible and would in most cases make it narrower than the others. That wouldn't be too hard (he says with a smile), just find the proper td tags, take out the 2 you don't want and add a colspan to the rest. course it would have to be in an if statement. (don't mind me, I'm just writing out loud).

Thanks for the feedback.  :)

(note to the webmaster - Christmas is over, the smilies can go  ;) ;D :D :) ::)
Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2002, 06:34:40 AM »

or you could make the sticky unstick after a period of time. as the sticky may only be relivent for a few days or whatever. then when the time expires on the sticky it becomes a normal topic and slides down with the rest  ;D (an idea from another forum)

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Don't know how hard this would be...... « previous - next »