Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
September 20, 2024, 11:04:27 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  let's get this organized « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: let's get this organized  (Read 6897 times)
Michael Prager
YaBB Crony

I'm the BoardMod man

ICQ - 91407017 WWW
let's get this organized
« on: December 21, 2001, 03:19:15 PM »

So I have two possiblities right now how to go on with boardmod:

Either we use the current mod format for it too so that there are two different mod formats for SE or we just put up a secound database for SP mods which would mean that boardmod would only provide a place to collect all those mods and offer them for download.

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

Re:let's get this organized
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2001, 03:25:46 PM »

What is missing to get them to both work the same?  Some of the search tags?

Dave

I just got one question...

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2001, 03:28:44 PM »

Honestly, to keep things simple and also not to get people confused with two programming types, I say leave boardmod as the perl only YaBB modifier. And doubly honestly, I really don't want to see mods hosted at THAT site, mainly because of the affiliation with Xnull, which is gonna draw a lot of questions. I would like to see a whole new site opened, like hackSE.com or something. And I'd like the mods to all be kept in the same format.

And while I'm talking, I'd also like to see some better regulations on mods that make it into the database. I think a certain standard should be set, and if your mod doesn't meet those standards, you need to work on it more before it gets included in the official mods list. Standards doesn't mean "I think this feature is crap, so we won't take it" cause someone out there probably does want it. Standards are things like the following:
  • Compatible Code.  A MUST have.
  • Speed and Efficiency. We don't want your mod bogging down the processes if there's a way to make it go faster
  • Code Cleanliness and Readability. Cleaner code makes it easier for everybody
I honestly think each mod should be reviewed (possibly by a 'mod review panel' of 3-5 people) where reviewers would all post comments to what they thought of a mod (kinda like the old way CS Art's site used to do for a while) when the mod was accepted. Before they did that, they'd actually go through the mod's code and give it a test to determine if it met the standards set or still needed some work.

Just my thoughts.
- Dave
alexrolko
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2001, 03:40:40 PM »

great idea's Dave.  ;)
Zef Hemel
Advisor
YaBB God

Me too

ICQ - 61109769 WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2001, 03:44:53 PM »

Agreed Dave :)

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2001, 03:46:19 PM »

Ditto and IM'd you...

Michael Prager
YaBB Crony

I'm the BoardMod man

ICQ - 91407017 WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2001, 04:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Dave on December 21, 2001, 03:28:44 PMHonestly, to keep things simple and also not to get people confused with two programming types, I say leave boardmod as the perl only YaBB modifier.

don't see the point there. For a mod, there is no difference between perl, php, C++ or even Qbasic. :-\

QuoteAnd doubly honestly, I really don't want to see mods hosted at THAT site, mainly because of the affiliation with Xnull, which is gonna draw a lot of questions.
just because we're hosted there is no reason to  maintain that we are 'owned' by xnull!

QuoteI would like to see a whole new site opened, like hackSE.com or something. And I'd like the mods to all be kept in the same format.
Honestly, I really like the idea. However I'm seeing myself going lost. :(

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »

Quote from: [CV]XXL on December 21, 2001, 04:01:15 PMHonestly, I really like the idea. However I'm seeing myself going lost. :(

Don't say that, there is a role for Boardmod in all of this... ;)

Dave

I just got one question...

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2001, 04:54:40 PM »

I dont see you going lost at all. I just see you helping maintain two sites instead of one. =) Out of two software's will most likely develop two seperate communities, which gives both room to grow. No reason you can't be a part of both, though. :)
Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2001, 06:11:27 PM »

I already have 4 packages to put up on the mod site :)

alexrolko
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »

Quote from: Matt Siegman on December 21, 2001, 06:11:27 PMI already have 4 packages to put up on the mod site :)

Matt, there more or less bug fixes =P  ;D
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2001, 06:45:39 PM »

Yes but all useful ;)

alexrolko
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2001, 07:12:30 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on December 21, 2001, 06:45:39 PMYes but all useful ;)

of course, with out them the bugs would still be there.
Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2001, 12:19:07 AM »

i agree mostly with dave's idea apart from a new mod comunity.
lets think for a minute.
a diff mod community would sperate from yabb, and this board wouldnt be a yabb but a different board. Sepererating everything would create 2 different board systems and it would be like ib and yabb.  In my opinion this SHOULD NOT happen  as this i syabb! Boardmod is "the open source project for yabb board modifications!" Do no seperate everything - its not worth it - this is yabb until you call it something different and you should not need another site for mods then boardmod.

Also, u keeep associating boardmod with xnull. How is this so? Just cause boardmod is hosted at xnull - you cant connect the 2 that broadly. If u wanna cut that then host boardmod at lewismedia and away we go!

I really do not see the point in starting a new community. Growth is whats needed and a new community will not bring that growth very quick but just make people at boardmod go to 2 places instead of one.

Hope I've contributed my opinion as I think it will be better for all, and i feel so passionate about it that i made a long post :o

On a final note, i want to reiterate the fact this is yabb, and as it is yabb - mods should be at boardmod.

Thanks

Omario

P.S. Maybe we should write inthe yabb record books : Omario made a long post! ;)

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Samm
Noobie

I love YaBB SE! ;)

ICQ - 123701662 WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2001, 12:42:16 AM »

Like omario, i mostly agree with dave, but i think boardmod should still be where its at. The way i see it, boardmod has a large community of budding programmers, some who know both php and perl, some who know one and plenty who want to learn...
I think having 2 seperate mod sites will only accomplish 2 things:

1. It'll make things more troublesome for people who write mods for both yabb se and gold/sp1 having to check around both sites all the time, and
2. It'll split up the community, which isn't what we want because we want things to grow.

YaBB SE is YaBB, and isn't yabb supposed to be a product of xnull? So why go out of your way to seperate? Boardmod is a site in its own right, dedicated to yabb board modification so lets keep it all together, in one place, nice and simple.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  let's get this organized « previous - next »