Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
October 08, 2024, 10:27:35 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Search Engines Optimize « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Reply Ignore Print
Poll
Question: Do you want YaBBSE to be optimized for Search Engines
Yes, sure
No, thank you
Is it possible?

Author Topic: Search Engines Optimize  (Read 24227 times)
Wiziwig

Programmer and Users Liason and Manager

Re:Search Engines Optimize
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2003, 03:26:12 AM »

I had the same problem as fizzy here when I followed these examples and attempted to impliment posted code into SM.  I used this page's most recent reposting of the code structor.

Quote from: Fizzy on August 10, 2003, 11:02:04 PM
Hi [Unknown]

I tried the first option but I'm still getting bounced back to the first post of the thread.

[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2003, 05:25:35 AM »

I'm sorry this didn't work for you.

I have acknowledged that it is probably buggy, and it's not a mod or anything I have ever said I'm supporting.

I have completely rewritten the way things are done in SMF so that this is possible in a more bugfree manner.  You'll have to wait 'till then, or write it yourself.

-[Unknown]
Wiziwig

Programmer and Users Liason and Manager

« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2003, 05:34:08 AM »

Sigh. great, one more thing to add to my list of reworks to help out these abandoned yabbse die hards.

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 26, 2003, 05:25:35 AM
I'm sorry this didn't work for you.

I have acknowledged that it is probably buggy, and it's not a mod or anything I have ever said I'm supporting.

I have completely rewritten the way things are done in SMF so that this is possible in a more bugfree manner.  You'll have to wait 'till then, or write it yourself.

-[Unknown]

[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2003, 06:25:08 AM »

Sorry if I don't seem to understand, but I did spend months working on SMF.  I actually seem to think I improved it, and that working with YaBB SE... is a waste.

-[Unknown]
Anguz
YaBB God

llama me?!

« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2003, 10:08:23 PM »

I just released a mod to make spider friendly urls in yabbse

http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?thread=25703

I hope you find it useful... I plan to improve it, but you can use it like it is without problems

and you don't need access to .htaccess to make it work either, it's all inside php

My Mods: Avatar & Sig Size Control, No Show Msg Subject, Msg URL Composer, Built-in Avatar Rand, Built-in Sig Rand, Remove New-lines Excess, Show All Stars, Search Bar, Smart URLs
daspoo
Noobie

« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2003, 05:43:08 PM »

First I would like to state that I can see that you have beat this dead horse to death...BUT HPROD's code is optimum for google and should be explored further in any new software you develop (SM)

I have been looking for exactly what HPROD's mod does to the board.
However after long hours at attempting to insert his code changes. I have come to the conclusion that his code is posted here incomplete. What he did to the MessageIndex.php file is missing OR/AND there is a line missing from the .htaccess file, otherwise the code functions as advertised.

I changed .htaccess in my root and hunted down the code lines in BoardIndex.php. The code did work in the main index and changed the board numbers to /message_XXX.htm However when trying to load a message from one of the boards I got a PHP error from Subs.php
QuoteWarning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/html/message/Sources/Subs.php on line 380
and a message error of
QuoteThe board field does not accept / in the query string

Just a heads up on Google (Probably already known to the google diehards);
HPROD's code is optimum for Google indexing since the spider sees it as being in the root directory.
It is a proven fact, the further down from the root directory you place your files../folder/anotherfolder/X.htm the lower your page rank will be.
While having X thousand links pointing out of your site looks good for whomever they point to (YaBBSE or SM) having X thousand pages that are not close to the root directory will severely leak page rank from your root index and cause you to have a lower site index than you may deserve.

Anyone have an idea how to finish HPROD's code in the MessageIndex.php , so that I may put a bandaid on my board until SM is completed?

We all want the same thing and I commend all of you on the work you have done.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 10:44:31 PM by daspoo » Logged
Shadow's Pawn
Support Team
YaBB God

ich soll nicht toten

ICQ - 8039201shadowpawn@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2003, 03:48:54 AM »

Use one of Anguz's mods but change it to use underscores instead of slashes or something like that.

apologize \A*pol"o*gize\, v. i. - To lay the foundation for a future offense.
daspoo
Noobie

« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2003, 04:04:21 AM »

Contacted Anguz earlier today, seems to be on the right path.

Since my previous post I have narrowed it down further. I have compiled a clean install of YaBBSE 1.5.4 (un-modded).
I still get the board error about / not being allowed in the query string however the PHP error is gone. SO now I know it is not an installed mod causing the issue.... Just a missing chunk of code.   >:(

Also I have fixed the mod_rewrite several different ways with the same result. I am inclined to think that the .htaccess file is correct because it calls the board like it is supposed to.
Anguz
YaBB God

llama me?!

« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2003, 05:15:33 AM »

Quote from: daspoo on October 05, 2003, 04:04:21 AM
I still get the board error about / not being allowed in the query string however the PHP error is gone

I don't exactly know what your problem is, but it sounds similar to one mentioned in my mod's thread.. here's the solution, but you can read a few messages back to learn more about that particular issue

http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?board=158;action=display;threadid=25703;start=15#msg175745

hopefully this'll solve your problem, although I don't know the details... good luck :)

My Mods: Avatar & Sig Size Control, No Show Msg Subject, Msg URL Composer, Built-in Avatar Rand, Built-in Sig Rand, Remove New-lines Excess, Show All Stars, Search Bar, Smart URLs
daspoo
Noobie

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2003, 05:48:27 AM »

nope that wasn't it.

I have an idea I am going to try soon as I can get my eyes to focus again... wife just turned the lights out in the room.

I am going to try to take what [unknown] has done and combine it with the mod_rewrite using .htaccess and see what I get
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 06:00:44 AM by daspoo » Logged
daspoo
Noobie

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2003, 01:32:18 AM »

Going for a stretch here...

[unknown],
  I need a bit of help if you are up to it, your code works fine, however it is missing one small element.

When you are in any thread of the message index it works fine when there are over 20 post, or lets say 2 or more pages of threads. It changes the post to ?thread=XXX/XX

But if you are in the main index for a board and there is more than 1 page you receive this ?board=X;action=messageindex;start=XX

Which causes the spider not to follow past threads that are on the first page.

A small bit of your magic would be greatly appreciated here.  :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 01:34:47 AM by daspoo » Logged
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

SMF has fixed this, because this, or really something like it, is built in.  I will not[/b] be messing with this for YaBB SE any more.

Please note that this was only fixed in beta 1.  If you check on www.simplemachines.org, it will look as you describe.

-[Unknown]
daspoo
Noobie

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2003, 09:54:40 AM »

Just checked it on SMF... it looks pretty close to the the same as it does here..

simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=2;start=60

the ; is a game stopper
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2003, 11:12:55 AM »

Quote from: daspoo on October 06, 2003, 09:54:40 AM
Just checked it on SMF... it looks pretty close to the the same as it does here..

simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=2;start=60

the ; is a game stopper

As I said, it's fixed in beta 1.  The site is not beta 1.

-[Unknown]
daspoo
Noobie

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2003, 02:28:17 PM »

you said...

QuoteIf you check on www.simplemachines.org, it will look as you describe.

So I looked and it didn't  :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Search Engines Optimize « previous - next »