Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
October 08, 2024, 10:30:54 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Search Engines Optimize « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Reply Ignore Print
Poll
Question: Do you want YaBBSE to be optimized for Search Engines
Yes, sure
No, thank you
Is it possible?

Author Topic: Search Engines Optimize  (Read 24228 times)
Fizzy

Re:Search Engines Optimize
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2003, 02:41:44 PM »

Oh well silly me for thinking that this is the place to ask for support.

I can't believe that support for Yabbse has been kicked when SMF isn't even available yet.
Even Microsoft isn't that dumb.

It makes me regret having chosen YaBBSE to replace CGI.
At least the support from YaBBforum is stable.

Please note that until SMF is released, support will continue for YaBB SE.

-[Unknown]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 02:45:21 PM by Fizzy » Logged
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2003, 03:41:54 PM »

Support is still being provided if you check the support boards, this however is a mod and so its upto the author to support it and as it was just a snippit to point people in the right direction then I dont really understand why you are claiming we are no longer supporting YSE.
Fizzy

« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2003, 05:34:43 PM »

I hear what you are saying Ben

I'm not aving a flaming rant or anything, but the way the code was posted was as a solution, not a suggestion or a hint.

If it was intended to be just a snippit that why wasn't that made clear?

Coders like you have a distinct advantage over non-coders like me. I have to scrabble through as best I can trying to make sense of all this information and all I get when I ask for "support" is a simple "upgrade to SMF" when it's not even available yet, that's what cooks me up.

So what sort of message does all this give out?

Any how, if the snippit doesn't work and the writer won't support it then it's off to the recycle bin. I'll be sure to ask flatly next time if code provided by senior members is actually a snippit or if it will be supported. The status of which seems to change as quickly as the English weather.
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2003, 05:52:27 PM »

Coder, I wish I was  ;D
Metho

I'm a llama!

« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2003, 06:32:45 PM »

It does sound like you've been having a flaming rant over the last two pages of this thread though.

A few points, if I may.

1. This is posted on the Mod Ideas board. It was never, ever, ever, ever, ever suggested to be complete without flaws in any way, shape, or form. If it was something that [Unknown] felt was totally complete and working 100% he probably would've moved it (or rather posted a new thread) in the Completed Mods board, with a big [DONE 1.5.4] on it. You can't fault him for your assumptions.

2. If you'll look at this from page one, you'll notice that this was more like a discussion between people on how to accomplish something. It didn't start out as someone saying "I wrote this code, it should work, it is cool" It was "how can I do this" and then several people saying "try something like this". All of them suggestions. Granted, they said it SHOULD work, but given the variance in systems, mods (especially if you're using supermod), and the like, it's entirely possible that a bit of code will have to be tweaked for your particuliar situation.

3. His code does work. I have it running on my board, and it was copy and paste from the this very forum. I didn't alter anything (besides add that global he'd forgotten to write down). Everything works. Now, the fact that you can't get it to block specific boards (which I'm not quite seeing the point to...if the spider crawls a bit more, what's the big deal?) isn't related to what his original intent was. It was "cut down on the special characters in url's so they could be spidered" and he accomplished that.

4. Support hasn't been stopped for YaBBSE. But one has to understand a few things. First, they're not paid for developing this forum, nor SMF. Period. The only comparable software to this (vB, imho) charges $85 a year (Or $160 for life), $120 for an install, and $30 a year for members support. So, you have to make a decision as to what you value more. Either you have to wait for an answer, accept what was given, or try to decipher it yourself. I know you're not a coder. A lot of us aren't. We just make a mess of what the real coders make. Or you can shell out the money. We've always been spoiled here at YaBBSE. So much custom code has been written for people here for free it's mindboggling. I'm sure if someone appraised the work you'd see some pretty staggering figures. (I know, my dad is a programmer, people with skills can charge up the wang).

In closing to my very long rant, I think you've been rather unfair. I don't know about you personally, but I've seen unending support from everyone here to anyone who's had a question. And because they're not getting paid, these projects are more like some great experiment - something that they're just wondering "Can we really create this?" and then they go for it. So I'm sorry if you can't understand that mindset with SMF, but these guys are just excited about it (as am I). They're creating something that looks to be infinitely better than this. It's evolution.

I do think your frustration was based on some part your misplaced assumptions. Anything that isn't on the completed mods board with a [DONE] tag should be considered a snippet/unfinished/not tested/possibly not working. And even completed mods have problems just because of the sheer number of variables that exist.

Ending now. Too much ranting. Bleh.

Methonis

David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2003, 05:54:19 PM »

I think Metho convered everythign I would have said.

Fizzy

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2003, 10:19:09 PM »

Metho,

I read your post, then I read it again.
Then I had a cuppa and read my own again ... and do you know what? You are absolutely right.

I bit off [Unknown]'s head quite wrongly there as I mistook the code for an official "this is how it's done" type post.

[Unknown] - I sincerely apologise for having a dig at you in this way. There was no need for it and I regret having made so many presumptions. Unfortunately my ignorance in these matters had gotten the better of me.

Metho - Thank you for bringing my errors to my attention in a dignified and mature way. Others might have lined me up and shot me down, but you put the proper perspective across very well and I'm very grateful for that.
Metho

I'm a llama!

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2003, 02:42:32 AM »

I think we all need a group hug now. Where are those ugly MSN hug images when you need them....

Methonis

Metho

I'm a llama!

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2003, 02:46:04 AM »

There we go. ;)

Methonis

[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2003, 09:06:16 AM »

Wow, I really must say I've never seen a person eat their hat that way.

You really are a good person, Fizzy.  Anything you think you did wrong against me, I forgive and forget.

-[Unknown]
Fizzy

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2003, 10:39:18 AM »

That's very kind of you.

I know that sometimes I might mouth off a bit and have always been brought up to speak my mind, but I was also taught to know when I was in the wrong and be prepared to stand up, admit it and to apologise.

I'm glad things are cool  8)
Anguz
YaBB God

llama me?!

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2003, 05:26:57 PM »

you earned some good Karma

*** clicks applause

there you go ;)

My Mods: Avatar & Sig Size Control, No Show Msg Subject, Msg URL Composer, Built-in Avatar Rand, Built-in Sig Rand, Remove New-lines Excess, Show All Stars, Search Bar, Smart URLs
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2003, 08:10:13 PM »

Replace this:
ob_start('ob_fix_thread_url');

function ob_fix_thread_url($buffer)
{
  global $scripturl;

return preg_replace(
     array('~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=\d+[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)"~', '~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=\d+[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)[;&]start=([^;&]+(?:[;&]boardseen=1)?)"~'),
     array('"' . $scripturl . '?thread=\\1"', '"' . $scripturl . '?thread=\\1/\\2"'),
     $buffer);
}

With:

{
  global $scripturl;

return preg_replace(
     array('~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=\d+[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)"~', '~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=\d+[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)[;&]start=(\d+(?:[;&]boardseen=1)?)"~'),
     array('"' . $scripturl . '?thread=\\1"', '"' . $scripturl . '?thread=\\1/\\2"'),
     $buffer);
}

And that should make split, and the like, work again.

If you don't want a board parsed, do something like this:

{
  global $scripturl;

$boards_to_do_it_for = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5);
  $boards_to_do_it_for = implode('|', $boards_to_do_it_for);

return preg_replace(
     array('~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=(?:' . $boards_to_do_it_for . ')[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)"~', '~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=(?:' . $boards_to_do_it_for . ')[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)[;&]start=(\d+(?:[;&]boardseen=1)?)"~'),
     $buffer);
}

That should do it.

-[Unknown]
Fizzy

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2003, 11:02:04 PM »

Hi [Unknown]

Thanks for having a go at this again.

I tried the first option but I'm still getting bounced back to the first post of the thread.

Here are the changes I have made so far to index.php

if ($modSettings['enableCompressedOutput'] && preg_match('/gzip/i', getEnv('HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING')) && @ini_get('zlib.output_compression') != '1')
   ob_start("ob_gzhandler");
else
   ob_start();

{
 global $scripturl;

return preg_replace(
     array('~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=\d+[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)"~', '~"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '~') . '\?board=\d+[;&]action=display[;&]threadid=(\d+)[;&]start=(\d+(?:[;&]boardseen=1)?)"~'),
     $buffer);
}

and also

}

global $thread;
 if (isset($thread))
 {
     global $currentboard, $threadid, $board, $start, $action;

$result = mysql_query("
       SELECT ID_BOARD
       FROM {$db_prefix}topics
       WHERE ID_TOPIC= " . (int) $thread . "
       LIMIT 1") or database_error(__FILE__, __LINE__);
     list ($board) = mysql_fetch_row($result);
     mysql_free_result($result);

$currentboard = $board;
     $threadid = (int) $thread;
     if (strpos($thread, '/') !== false)
       $start = substr($thread, strpos($thread, '/') + 1);
     $action = 'display';
     LoadBoard();
     $cgi = $scripturl . '?board=' . $board;
  }
   $actionArray = array(
[quote][/quote]

Also I was getting errors saying I was not authorised to access this section etc
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 11:48:12 PM by Fizzy » Logged
Fizzy

« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2003, 09:00:58 PM »

I had some problems with posts on my board eing in the wrong place etc and had to re-enable Split.

I experimented and found that the first section of code didn't make any difference, but, when I rem'd out the second section of the code the Split worked fine.

I don't know if that helps at all ?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Search Engines Optimize « previous - next »