Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
June 26, 2024, 09:31:03 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  This really pisses me off, A lot... Cant it be fixed? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: This really pisses me off, A lot... Cant it be fixed?  (Read 1011 times)
NIMDA
Noobie

I'm a llama!

This really pisses me off, A lot... Cant it be fixed?
« on: March 16, 2003, 01:59:19 AM »

when you fill out a form in any other forum software but yabbse that form info is stored so that if you accidentally navigate away from the page the data is still in the entry fields when you hit the back button.

Not in yabbse, and I must have heard this more from other people using it than any other single complaint.  Why isnt this fixed yet?  It can be done.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
Re:This really pisses me off, A lot... Cant it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 02:07:21 AM »

That is not true.  No forum software stores it as you type it in, and then magically fills it back in when you hit back.  Realize that PHP does _NOT_ run on the clients computer, so this is quite literally impossible.

Try turning off the option to disable output caching.  Most browsers (the thing that does this!) don't remember the data when output caching is off.

You might also try turning off compressed output.  Some browsers/settings won't cache that either.

I've already worked out a solution for this, but not the "magic" one you want.  My solution is actualyl possible.

And, sorry if I'm a bit annoying in tone, I just don't like the way you singled out YaBB SE in this behavior, when that is completely false.

-[Unknown]
Crono
Noobie

Yahooo!!!!!

lordcrono@msn.com WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 11:40:21 AM »

u guys dont belive this is possible? go to a vbulletin site and try registering, fill in most information (leave a required blank like email) and press back.

The Lord of Cronopolis has arrived!
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 11:46:48 AM »

As unknown said, no forum software stores it. It is your BROWSER/SERVER not the the FORUM software. :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 11:49:00 AM by Chris Cromer » Logged

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
chris
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 01:01:22 PM »

Like [unknown] wrote... disable Output Caching and it should work.

If OC is enabled, YaBB sends "Pragma: no-cache" to the browser, causing most browsers to do a full reload of a page, resetting all form-fields in this process.

Of course, Form Fields *could* be stored in Cookies and then be re-loaded. But that would require a lot of code-changes.

If it still doesn't work, open Subs.php and search for

header('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT');
   header('Last-Modified: ' . gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s") . ' GMT');

and change them to:

// header('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT');
   // header('Last-Modified: ' . gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s") . ' GMT');

« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 01:03:57 PM by Christian Land » Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  This really pisses me off, A lot... Cant it be fixed? « previous - next »